Relationships are the cornerstone to our happiness. We are a social
species and need interaction with other people.
Here are ten tips to help you have stronger, more authentic relationships.
- Know thyself. Being true to yourself. Acknowledging your likes and
dislikes, strengths and weaknesses is paramount. This is not a judgement
call, rather an inventory of who you are and where you are right now. This
empowers you to know what stimulates and drives you.
- Communicate with honesty. Authentic and meaningful communication is the
difference between a casual relationship and one of deep meaning and
value. To be able to discuss deep issues and thoughts openly and candidly
is paramount in a close relationship. This takes time, so start off with
smaller, less threatening discussions gradually moving into the core
discussions that are important to you.
- Be considerate. Being compassionate towards your partner, taking into
consideration his or her perspectives, emotions and needs are the key to
creating balance between different views, likes and beliefs and connecting
both of you deeper and with great respect for each other.
- Listen. Shut up and open up. Listening is a skill.True engaged listening
requires you to connect on a profound level. It means you have to shut out
all those voices in you head telling you to comment, fill the void, and
prove yourself by sharing your experience. It also creates a very powerful
vibrational energy of connection to the one you are listening to.
Subconsciously they are aware of this connection when you are fully
engaged in listening.
- Know how and where to draw the line. So many times we feel uncomfortable
and confrontational when we have to draw a line with another person. Not
drawing the line and setting your boundaries creates subconscious tension
for both of you. It affects communication, trust and the very relationship
itself. Be bold and thoughtfully set you boundaries. It will benefit both
- Give. Sometimes relationships can interfere with our agendas, but that's
what friends are for. Carry the load and lead others, even when it is
inconvenient. You have to give if you will ever receive. Giving also helps
deepen the relationship.
- Be patient. No relationship is perfect, however, you can develop an
amazing relationship just by following the above steps and keeping in mind
that Rome was not built in a day. There are very few things in life that
are immediate and still worth it. It's the journey together that builds a
great relationship. The good times and the bad help both of you grow.
- Trust. It is the foundation to everything real. Trust in yourself means
you can trust others. Embrace the fact that nobody, including you, is
perfect. Enjoy the imperfections and stop being afraid that others will
see them. They already do anyway. Trust means being fearless, being real,
and being human.