Baked Stuffed Bell Peppers
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Yield: 4 servings
2 cups cooked grain (brown rice, quinoa, millet)
2/3 cup crushed almonds or walnuts
1 onion, finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 bell peppers (green, red, or yellow)
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil or ghee salt to taste
1. Sauté onion and garlic with oil for 1 minute.
2. Add celery and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Mix with remaining ingredients, except peppers and crushed nuts.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Cut off tops of peppers and scoop out insides.
6. Steam peppers until slightly tender.
7. Fill each with stuffing and top with crushed nuts.
8. Place in casserole dish with 1/8 inch water, bake in oven for 30 minutes and serve.
Note: Adapted from Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Tradition and Modern Nutrition, by Paul Pitchford.